Founded in 1989, Royce Imaging Industries started out by cutting and supplying thermal fax rolls to companies. With the advent of plain paper faxing, the company revised its strategy and moved its focus to the re-manufacturing of printer consumables.
Despite its humble beginnings, once being a small family business, the company achieved excellent growth year on year as its product range expanded to include most major brand names, from Brother to Xerox.
By 1995, Royce Imaging Industries was re-manufacturing printer cartridges for both laser and inkjet printers as well as faxing devices and moved to Strijdom Park where its nearly 30 employees occupied the company's first 400 m2 factory. The following five years saw further growth with Royce Imaging Industries increasing its workforce to approximately 100 employees and its factory size to over 2,000 m2.
In 2001, Royce Imaging Industries was purchased by Reunert, a JSE-listed company, which also has a remarkable history:
- The original company was established in 1899.
- In 1914 it became a private limited liability called Reunert & Lenz.
- It listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 1948.
- During 1983 it was incorporated into Barlows and became known as Reunert.
- Reunert unbundled from Barlows in 1993.